By Ryan Alfieri, Editor
The Jets have been among the most active teams on the waiver wire. Here are some of the transactions they made Saturday, per Connor Orr of NJ.com:
- claimed TE Konrad Reuland from the 49ers: While it is no surprise that the Jets targeted a tight end, their selection is a bit odd. Reuland is the mold of a pass catcher as opposed to the blocker they need after losing Josh Baker.
- claimed WR Clyde Gates from the Dolphins: Gates is a speedster who will remind Jets fans of David Clowney. The Jets need some help at receiver, but I find it hard to believe that a player who couldn’t find a spot on the Dolphins’ hideous group could help out the Jets.
- claimed DT Isaako Aaitui from the Dolphins: Aaitui went undrafted out of UNLV last year and spent the season on the Dolphins practice squad. This is probably bad news for Damon Harrison, who barely beat out Martin Tevaseu to make the roster.
- RB Terrance Ganaway was claimed by the Rams. The Jets were hoping to keep Ganaway on the practice squad, but sixth-round picks tend to get hard looks if they don’t make a final roster. If Mike Tannenbaum really wanted to keep him, he should have found a spot on the roster.
- DT Martin Tevaseu was claimed by the Colts, according to George Bremer of the Herald Bulletin.
- DE Marcus Dixon was released by the team, per his agent. This is great news for Damon Harrison, but a bit surprising. Dixon got decent playing time for the Jets last season. I expect him to get some serious consideration from other teams.
- S Antonio Allen was waived, per Jenny Ventras of NJ.com. This is perhaps the most surprising cut so far, as Allen played rather well. The Jets could also use every bit of safety depth they could get with LaRon Landry’s health always in question.
Practice Squad Additions:
TE Hayden Smith and CB Donnie Fletcher were added to the practice squad. Smith, the Aussie tight end, is a perfect candidate to develop without having to take up an additional roster spot.